Wednesday, 20 April 2011

Continuing my latest blog.

Also in my last blog I said that she cannot have contact with the gorillas, well in the trailer below, Dian Fossey ( the actress) does have contact with the gorillas, that is because where I am right now she cannot have contact with the gorillas since she's only been there for a few months. Also I just wanted to add to my retell section in my last blog, that with protecting the animals from the traps (destorying the traps, and letting the animals free) there came consiquences. In Africa there is something they call black magic or they call it "sumu" wich means poison, kind of like witch craft. Example: If you destroy the traps of the poachers and they find out they would talk to a "umushitsi" (witch doctor). Sometimes poachers would cut two sticks from a tree, form them into a cross, and stick them into the ground along the trail leading to their trapline. This Christian-like symbol was meant basicly to convey a death threat to anyone who tries to mess with their traps. Since many of Dian's coworkers were locals of Africa, they believed these "curses" and wouldn't dare to cross these "cross's". Sumu exerts a powerful influence in the daily lives of many Rwandese, espceially those living in the more remote areas near the Kivu Province of Zaire, where the most prodigious umshitsi practice. Unknown to Dian at the time, one of the locals who worked with her, Seregera was also a poacher. He was to become one of the biggest elephant killers within the Virungas. Now that sucks.

Until next time :) By the way I know this picture is kind of irrelevant to my subject right up there^ but I couldn't figure out how to do it on my last blog ha-ha. But as you could probably guess yes that is Dian Fossey! ha-ha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy_7OeoZCQY&feature=related <- The Gorillas in the Mist Movie! :)

2 comments:

  1. I love that you included a video clip! Fantastic idea Chloe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's weird what some people believe. It's also true that destroying objects, even if it's feeling like a good action, comes with consequences.

    ReplyDelete